Diabetic Recipe : Cold Artichoke Starter
...a nice taste diabetic appetizer !
DIABETIC RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large artichokes, about 10 ounces (280 g) each
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) whole peppercorns
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup (26 g) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup (20 g) finely minced fresh herbs -- all or 1 or the following: chervil, dill, thyme, or tarragon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) capers, rinsed
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 hard-cooked egg white (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
1. Remove coarse outer leaves from artichokes and trim stems flush with the base. Using a sharp knife, cut off top third of each artichoke. Trim thorny tips from remaining leaves and rinse under running cold water.
2. Place artichokes side by side in a pot just large enough to hold them securely. Add vinegar, mustard seeds, and peppercorns to the bottom of the pot. Fill with water to come about half way up the sides of the artichokes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until artichoke bottoms are tender when pierced, about 35 minutes. Drain. Transfer artichokes to a small metal pan and place in freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until chilled. Or, cover and refrigerate artichokes until the next day.
4. In a small bowl, combine the shallots, parsley, herbs, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil. Finely chop the egg white, if using, and set aside.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut chilled artichokes in half lengthwise. Remove sharp-pointed inner leaves and scoop out the fuzzy centers. Set each half on a salad plate and top with an equal portion of the shallot mixture. Sprinkle with some of the chopped egg white, if using, and season with pepper.
Per serving: 72 calories (40% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 4 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 83 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Diabetic Recipes: diabetic-fruit-cake.